The article I wrote was meant as an introduction, and I hope it’s not the end of your inquiries. Here is where I would point you to next.
Let’s take a break from AI for a moment:
- This is an article about caring, not about AI. And yet, this sort of thinking was crucial to my path here.
- Articles 1-6 from this set of 13 articles that promise to change your life are all very short. They are also not about AI, although Article 6 comes close.
Alright, I hope you enjoyed that hiatus. Back to AI:
- This Wikipedia page about existential risk from AI has a lot of overlap with this website, but it’s pretty short and worth reading.
- Nick Bostrom’s Thinking Inside the Box.
- Here are, I think, the most important research topics in AI Safety that can be pursued today.
- Further reasons for concern about extinction from AI is an addendum I’ve written to the original article.
- WaitButWhy has a great introduction to AI. There’s also a lot of overlap with this, and there are some points that I contend, but it’s an easy read. Part 1. Part 2.
- Nick Bostrom’s Superintelligence. This is a must read.
If you want to read more about Effective Altruism:
- William MacAskill’s Doing Good Better.
For the mathematically inclined:
- MIRI Research Papers are very technical, and quite mind-blowing. Proceed with caution.
- If you want to actually work on making AI, and if you’ve read everything else, I’d recommend Rationality: From AI to Zombies. It’s about much more than AI, as the title suggests.
If you know of other articles that you think I should add to this list, please contact me.